What is a debit card and how to use it?
A debit card is a banking product without which it is difficult to imagine human life. Not everyone knows the possible functions of the card. We will tell you what a debit card is and how to use it.
Debit card – what is it in simple words?
The main function of the card is a convenient storage of money in the account. It is very easy to manage your finances with it – replenish your account, withdraw cash, as well as buy goods or pay bills.
The difference between a debit card and a credit card is that only your own funds are kept on the account.
What is the purpose of a debit card?
The main functions are:
- safe storage of funds in the bank account;
- possibility to pay for goods and services by cashless method;
- quick withdrawal of funds via ATMs;
- card-to-card transfers;
- opportunity to make profit from keeping money (if there is interest accrual on cash balance).
Types of debit cards
It is possible to divide payment products into groups on various grounds. Why do you need it? First of all, in order to understand what you need to pay attention to when choosing a product.
- by payment system – international (Visa, MasterCard);
- by security level (technical characteristics) – with a chip, with a magnetic strip, with full protection (combined);
- by levels (according to the range of rendered services) – standard (classical), gold, platinum;
- personalization – non-named (also known as instant because you can get them immediately when applying for the card) or personalized.
What is the best product to choose? To go abroad, the cards of international payment systems are suitable.
The card with a chip has the highest degree of protection against fraudsters. The magnetic strip wears out quickly and is easier to forge.
When choosing the level of service it is better to be guided by the purpose of the payment instrument. If it is a salary card, which is used for receiving money and cashing out, it is better to issue a standard card. So you won’t have to pay extra for unnecessary services. If the card is actively used, and there is always a significant movement of funds, then it is better to choose a higher level – gold or platinum.
What is the difference between a debit card and a credit card?
The main difference between a debit card and a credit card is the ownership of the money in the account. A debit card holds the customer’s funds, while a credit card holds the bank’s funds. All other differences follow from this. However, both cards are a convenient payment instrument.
How not to mix up the cards if you have both? Unfortunately, there are no visual differences. Some models may have a distinctive word – Debet or Credit. But banks are not obliged to do it. So it’s easy to mix up plastic cards.
How do you distinguish them?
- look in the contract to see under what conditions the product was provided;
- visit the bank branch where the agreement was signed and clarify the information there;
- call the information service of the bank;
- look at the financial institution’s website for the product design and compare it with your card. As a rule, the lines of debit and credit products will be designed in different colors and pictures.
How do I apply for a debit card?
You can apply online at the bank’s website or offline at a bank branch. The online option is faster and easier. To get a payment product:
- You need to fill out an application on the website of the financial institution.
- Wait for the application to be processed and a response from the bank.
- Receive the product by courier delivery or by mail.
How to get a debit card in the office? If it is more convenient to take the procedure offline, then take your passport and go to the nearest bank branch. If you need the card urgently, you can get an instant card. This is a non-named product, so a certain stock is always available at bank offices. Making a named plastic you need to wait a period of 5 to 10 days.
What is a debit card with a cashback?
A cashback is a refund of some of the money that has been spent on purchases from the account. Originally, it was supposed to reward the customer only in terms of money for using the product. But now there is an alternative to cashback – the accrual of points for purchases. These points can either be exchanged for cash or used as a discount for purchases at the bank’s partners.
The average cashback offered by banks is up to 5%. This percentage applies to spending on the card at any point of sale. But there is a separate rate for purchases at partners: up to 30%.
How to recharge my card and withdraw cash?
You can replenish your account in different ways:
- transfer from another card;
- depositing money at the bank’s cash desk or in terminals.
Withdrawal of funds is carried out similarly – either at a bank branch or through ATMs. But you should take into account that a fee may be charged for the procedure at the bank office, so it’s better to do it at ATMs.